Monday, March 4, 2013

Luxuries

At CRLT, we have put together a team as part of the Active U campaign at the University of Michigan to live healthier lives. Someone on team CRLThriving (go team!) posted in our break room an article on mindful eating. I laughed maniacally as I read it and tried to envision implementing that habit at our dinner table. This led me to ponder what habits I didn't realize were luxuries. Below is my list:
"Plucking" by Becky EnVérité
Plucking my eyebrows.
Finishing a sentence.
Finishing a meal.
Chewing before swallowing.
Showering daily.
Flossing.
Relaxing on the couch.
Relaxing anywhere.
Reading a book.
Reading a page in a book.
Doing laundry.
Folding laundry.
Putting clean laundry away.
Hydrating.
Clipping my toe nails.
Drinking a cup of coffee before it goes cold.
Smooching my husband.
Arriving on time. Anywhere.
Going to the bathroom... by myself.
Getting in the car in less than 30 minutes.
Making a phone call.
Finishing a phone call without interrupting the conversation to talk to a child.

I asked Jeff if he had any thoughts on this. The majority of his habits that have become luxuries since parenthood were intimate in nature. Here are some daddy perspectives on luxuries that are rated G:

Watching a movie in less than 3 sittings.
Peace and quiet.



2 comments:

  1. So *that's* what it's like to be "culled."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I really miss going to the bathroom by myself.

    ReplyDelete